Is there really a panic attacks self help program out there that can help? It is my hope that by the time you get done reading this self help for panic attacks article you will have found the answers that you have been looking for.
Now, let’s get to it.
Panic attacks come without warning and without obvious causes. These are abrupt episodes of intense anxiety and overwhelming fright.
Although these episodes are random, they are thought to fall under a revolutionary response known as “fight or flight”. In this response, the body discharges epinephrine or adrenaline that defends the body against the threat of harm or danger. Panic or anxiety is the body’s reaction to stress.
Although it may seem terrifying, it does not harm the body in any way. Instead, it protects the body from harm.
Panic attacks can compromise the normal life of a person. They may cause a person to discontinue doing his day-to-day activities because of fear that panic will occur. A panic disorder develops when a person has recurring panic attacks. This can cause a person to lock himself in his home and evade the society.
Episodes of panic are preventable, controllable and treatable. Even though a person may not get readily available help, he can make use of a few panic attacks self help methods to prevent or control his panic. A few of these techniques on panic attacks self help are the following:
1. If a person is under an attack and experiencing a shortness of breath, he can make use of a paper bag to normalize his oxygen levels. The patient must cup his nose and mouth with the paper bag and slowly breathe in and out inside it. This technique will bring his breathing back to the original level.
2. In order to prevent an attack from occurring, a person should unwind and relieve stress. Stress is known to be the primary contributor of an anxiety attack. Taking days off of work and relaxing a little will lessen the possibility of an episode of panic.
3. Keep a panic attack diary. Any person who experiences recurrent attacks of panic should take note what triggers an attack and when it happens. By keeping details on panic attack occurrences, a person may delineate patterns on triggers, causes and periods of attack.
4. Do not bottle up emotions. The most common victims of anxiety and panic are people who keep emotions to themselves. If a person is dealing with life issues, he should make sure he shares them with another person. This should be a way to lessen the worry that triggers attack. It has to be noted that both cognitions and behaviors are what trigger anxiety.
5. Consult a doctor. Self help for panic attacks is not enough measures for serious cases of panic disorder. It is best to be equipped with knowledge on coping with panic, but seeing the doctor to check on the severity of the problem is always advised.
Panic disorder can be treated in different ways. A person who becomes a victim of panic disorder can choose from two treatment options in order for him to free himself from the dread of panic. However, panic attacks self help techniques still come in handy for people who cannot immediately seek professional help.